Saturday, October 27, 2012

MALVANI CHICKEN


Malvani is the Cuisine of the Konkan region of Maharashtra and Goa. The dishes are usually spicy, tangy and coconut based. The 'Konkanastha Brahmin' style of food is quite bland yet very tasty and vegetarian too.


I had jotted down this recipe long back from Aditya Bal's TV show "Chakhle India".

Ingredients:














Malvani Masala ... 4-5 tbsps.( see recipe - HERE )
Chicken ......... 1/2 kg
Onions..... 3 chopped (about 1 and half cups)
Salt
Oil

Grind to paste :


Fresh grated coconut ... 1/2 cup
Garlic................... 8-10 cloves
Ginger ................ 1 inch piece
Green chillies ..... 1-2 ( add only if you like it very hot. I skipped them as the Malvani masala is already spicy)
Coriander leaves .... to garnish.

Method:


1. Heat oil in a pan add the chopped onions. Fry until brown.

2. Add the wet masala ( ground paste of fresh coconut, ginger,garlic)

3. Saute for a minute and add the dry Malvani masala and mix.

4. Now add the chicken pieces ( chicken with bones tastes better in this preparation). Add salt and saute. Add sufficient water (depending on the consistency you want) and simmer it to cook.
Garnish coriander leaves and serve.
I made little gravy because I prefer it with rice. If you want to serve with rotis you can make it dry.

Pin for later



You may also like:










Kundapur Chicken Curry








27 comments:

  1. Mmm... I can smell this curry here too!Looks ever so delicious. Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alida.. yes this is a really flavourful curry

      Delete
  2. I m new here.....his recipe looks so delicious and tempting....my link http://zariafrozrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zari..welcome to my space and thanks for liking my recipes.
      Will surely drop by too

      Delete
  3. Wow!!!sounds delicious,must be a flavorful one....bookmarked dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Shobha
    How are you? I feel good reading your note at my blog. I have heard so much about Malwani chicken , but never had a chance to cook or eat even! With your detailed recipe , I am tempted to cook it. Next week I am going back to Algeria :-(.
    Regarding Sailana Garam masala, it has all kind of spices ground together. If I get time I will send it to you or give in my blog.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ushnish for always exchanging notes about various recipes and ingredients.

      Delete
  5. Delicious chicken recipe..
    Awards for you in my space..do collect..
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious n flavorful chicken curry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. curry looks very tempting..good dish:)
    http://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious and yumm :) Thanks for linking such a nice recipe to my contest :)

    Participate and win prizes
    The Master Chef Contest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shobha ,

    Nice and neat presentation.

    Looks YummY Shobha..

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow....love this chicken dear with malvani masala !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so delicious! & it is a change for everyday chicken curry with red/brown appearance..
    Have a great day!!
    Amy
    Event:Cook like a Celebrity Chef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Amy..a different one for a change
      Thanks

      Delete
  12. I love any dish which comes from coastal region my mouth is watering already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Maria.. the coastal dishes are full of fresh flavours

      Delete
  13. My mouth is just watering here, what a flavoursome rich chicken dish, i can have this dish with anything, so tempting to the core.

    ReplyDelete

Do show some love if you liked my recipe. Leave a comment here.

Print Recipe