Ingredients:Bulgur (crushed wheat) 2 cups
Potatoes ......... 4 medium boiled
Onion ......... 1 medium (chopped finely)
Dry mint ..... 1 tsp. ( optional)
Cinnamon powder... 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder .. 1/2 tsp
Baking powder ......... 1/4 tsp
Salt ......................... to taste
Oil... 5-6 tbsps (preferably olive oil)
For the filling:Onion ..... 1 medium
Zatar ....... 1 tbsp. (zatar is a Middle Eastern spice/condiment - a combination of sesame seeds, dried sumac, salt, thyme and other herbs)
Walnuts or pine nuts 1/2 or 3/4 cup (Crushed)
1. Soak the crushed wheat with enough water just to cover it. After a few hours the water would have been soaked by the wheat. The texture should be grainy, not mushy. (If you think you have added more water drain it out)
2. Boil the potatoes and mash them.
3. In a food processor or by hand mix the wheat and potato, adding salt, baking powder, black pepper, cinnamon powder and dry mint. Divide it into 2 parts.
4. In a pan heat a little oil and saute the onion for a minute until translucent. Add the zatar spice and crushed walnuts or pine nuts. Mix well and set aside.
5. In a baking tray, pour about 2 tbsps oil and spread evenly.Take half of the mix and spread it.
6. Spread the filling over it and the remaining wheat and potato mix on top. Press it evenly and drizzle 2 tbsps. of oil all over. Spread the oil with the back of the spoon or pastry brush.
7. Slide the knife through the mix and cut into desired sized cubes or diamond shapes.
8. Bake until it turns brown. ( about 30-35 minutes)
PS: The baking time generally varies a little depending on the size of the oven and quantity.