Sunday, April 10, 2011
Spring onion leaves
1. Cut the watermelon into half and carve zig-zag design on the edge.
2. Cut out thin strips from the radish all around as shown in the picture.
3. Cut out the core of the carrot into a thin cylindrical shape.
4. Slice the carved radish and the carrot.
5. Take satay sticks, insert them into the spring onion leaves and fix the radish and carrot slice on the tip to make the flowers.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Milk powder .......... 4 serving spoons
White flour ............ 1 serving spoon
Ghee ...................... 1 tbsp.
Baking powder .... 1 tsp.
Milk ...................... for kneading ( room temperature)
Sugar .................. 1 cup.
Cardamoms ........ 4-5
Kesar ................... a pinch
Oil to fry
1. Add one and quarter cup water to the sugar and boil to make syrup. Add cardamoms and saffron to the syrup.
2. Mix the milk powder, white flour, baking powder and ghee and knead with milk
3. Make round balls and deep fry them.(make the oil medium hot and reduce the flame before putting gulab jamuns)
4. Keep turning them continuously to get the even colour.
5. Put them into the syrup and let them soak till soft.( about 10 - 12 hours)
Friday, April 8, 2011
Eggs ......... 2
Bread slices .. 2
Carrot .......... 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Capsicum .... 1 tbsp. (finely chopped)
Onion ......... 1 tbsp. (finely chopped)
Green chilli ... 1 (finely chopped)
Tomato ......... 1/2 (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves ...1 tbsp.(finely chopped)
(All the vegetables have to be very finely chopped..I have used a chopper.)
Pav bhaji masala ... 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp.
Salt .................... to taste
1. Take all the chopped vegetables in a bowl.
2. Add the eggs, pav bhaji masala, chilli powder and salt. Mix it well.
3. Heat oil on a griddle, dip the slices and fry them. Spoon a little egg mixture on the slices while frying.
4. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
I had made this table decoration for my friend's Baby Shower Party.
It is very simple and at the same time looks so pretty and decorative.
Here I have used blue and pink flowers because of the baby shower ...You may use any kind of vegetables like carrot, radish, cucumber or beet root strips or cherry tomatoes to be served with a dip of your choice.
Papaya .... long .... boat shaped.
Flowers .... Pink & Blue (fresh or artificial)
Cherries ....for decoration
Bob pins .... with red colour heads
Tomato ..... carved into a basket shape (refer to the carvings section)
Tiny baby figurine.
1. Cut the 2 sides of papaya as shown in the picture and scoop out the seeds.
2. Fill them with blue and pink flowers on each side.
3. With a knife just give cross markings on the middle portion and decorate it with red coloured bob pins.
4. Secure the tomato basket on the top with the help of toothpicks and place the baby figurine in it.
5. Decorate the boat with cherries.
Monday, April 4, 2011
Cucumbers ... 3 (large,medium & small)
Radish ............ 2 (1 thick and 1 round)
Carrots .... 1
Cherry .... 1
1. Select cucumbers which are are thick on one end and thinner on the other...of 3 different sizes.(Father penguin, Mother penguin & Baby penguin)
2. Give a slit on either side for the wings and insert a piece of toothpick so that the wings open up a little.
3. Carve beaks of 3 different sizes out of carrot. Cut a tiny piece of cucumber on the thinner side and fix the beaks with a piece of tooth pick
4. Fix cloves for the eyes.
5. Now for the snowman, peel the radishes, use the thicker one for the body and the round one for the head. Make a long beak and a hat from the carrot and fix them as shown in the figure.Fix the cherry on the hat and also the cloves for the eyes.
6. Fix toothpicks for the hands on either side.
7. Grate the radish and use it for snow.
8. To make the penguins stand, cut a small piece (slanting) on the bottom and fix a slice of radish.
(You may also use brinjals for the penguins if you get the required shape)
Sending it to the event: Create 'N' Carve
Hosted by : Simply.Food
Saturday, April 2, 2011
Oranges ..... 3
Cloves ......... 2
Black olive... 1 (here I have used a date)
Any salad of your choice.
1. Cut the tip of the two oranges as shown in the picture. Save the pieces for ears.
2. Take one orange and carve the eyes and nose and make two slits on the top to fix the ears.
3. With the help of the toothpicks fix the two oranges one on top of the other
4. Fix the ears and the cloves for the eyes. Cut the black olive into half and fix it for the mouth.(I have shaped the date and used it instead)
5. From the third orange carve out the hands and fix them with tooth picks.Also cut a base to make the Teddy stand and fix with tooth picks.
6. Make any salad of your choice and place the Orange Teddy in the center.
It is just a simple carving but makes the table decorative.