Raw mangoes ... 2 (select small and tender ones)
Coriander seeds .. 1 tbsp.
Cumin seeds ....... 1 tbsp.
Methi seeds ....... 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp.
Dry red chillies .... 6-8
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1 tsp.
Salt ... 1 & 1/4 tbsps.
Oil ............. 1/2 cup
Asafoetida .. 1/8 tsp
Mustard seeds .... 1 - 2 tsp.
Garlic ................. 8-10 cloves
1. Wash and cut the mangoes into very small pieces. Mix one tablespoon salt and leave it at least for a day. If you have sunlight you can keep it out in the sun or you can refrigerate it.
2. Dry roast and grind the red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds and mustard seeds.
3. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Add one tsp. salt and check it as the mango pieces are already salted.
4. . Mix this masala well with the mango pieces.
5. Heat about half a cup of oil. Let it cool a bit and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds and the whole garlic.( you may even crush the garlic coarsely if you like)Pour it into the mango masala mix.
6. Mix the pickle well and let it cool. Store in a clean dry jar.