This dish can be eaten on Kartik Ekadashi and I am posting a few VRAT KA KHANA recipes. On the Vrat / fasting days people refrain themselves from the normal food like cereals and grains and restrict to fruits, milkproducts, peanuts,coconut, dishes made with sabudana (sago), makhanas and Kuttu or Shingara flour ( flour made from water chestnuts).Vegetables supposed to be eaten are potatoes and sweet potatoes. Ekadashi Vrat food is usually flavoured only with black pepper and rock salt. However some people like to add all the spice powders.You may add if you wish to.
Sabudana ....... 1 cup
Potato ............ 1
Cumin seeds .... 1 tsp
Peanuts ........ 1 tbsp.
Rock salt ...... to taste
Black / white pepper powder .. 1/2 tsp.
Lime juice or amchoor for flavouring.
Oil or ghee.
Coriander leaves for garnishing.
1. Soak the sabudana for 4-5 hours with just enough water to cover them.
2. Boil the potato and cut into small pieces.
3. Dry roast the peanuts and grind them coarsely.
4. In a pan heat a little oil. Add the cumin seeds,when they crackle add the potatoes, salt, amchoor powder and black pepper powder. Mix well.
5. Now add the soaked sabudana and keep stirring until cooked.(when it becomes translucent it is done. It takes only a minute ) Do not place the lid on the pan as the khichdi will become sticky.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
On the days you are not fasting you can make it as chatpata as you desire adding greenchillies and spices.