Wednesday, November 21, 2012

PYAZ KI SABJI



Try out this simple curry made with pearl onions.. Isn't it a great idea for days when we run out of vegetables at home.

Ingredients:



Shallots (baby onions) ..... 1 bowl
Tomato puree .................. 2 tbsps.
Besan .............................. 1 & 1/2 tsp..
Asafoetida ..................... a pinch
Turmeric powder ......... 1/4 tsp.
Cumin powder .............. 1/2 tsp.
Coriander powder ......... 1/2 tsp
Star anise ................. 1
Black cardamom ...... 1
Saunf .............. 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds .... 1/4 tsp.
Methi seeds ..... 1/4 tsp. (fenugreek)
Cloves ............. 3-4
Cinnamon ...... 1 inch piece.
Salt
Oil

Method:

1. Peel the shallots, sprinkle salt and set aside for 1 hour.

2. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the shallots.(about 4-5 minutes)

3. Dry roast the besan. Crush the spices a bit in the mortar and pestle.

4. In a pan take a little oil and add the asafoetida and crushed dry spices
.
5. When they leave an aroma, add the shallots and saute for a minute. Then add the tomato pulp and the dry masalas.
6. Mix well and add the roasted besan and stir until blended.


7. Add a cup of water and simmer for a few minutes.
Garnish and serve.
 

Pin for later


You may also like:

















28 comments:

  1. I so much wish i had this for lunch with rice. yummy yumm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Happy Cook.
      Learnt it from a Rajasthani friend of mine.

      Delete
  2. I love Pearl onion in anything, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asha..
      Yes even I love to use baby onions in many dishes.

      Delete
  3. Oh Shobha..you are rocking Dear..this is such a lovely Dish..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicous...lovely presentation...droolingggggggggg

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time to ur space,love the collection.Do visit my blog if time permits,

    http://premascooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Premlatha, welcome and thanks for visiting...I had a quick glimpse of ur blog and some of the dishes are my favourites..I will see the recipes leisurely and make them.
      Plz keep visiting regularly and do give me your views and comments.

      Delete
  6. This definitely looks yummy. It is rare to find an Onion curry or a tomato curry as these are the basic ingredients for all kinds of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shaobha, the orange teddys and the peral onion curry are looking so good and inviting. This is one of my fav instant curry, when run out of veggies, great one !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum Yum...thats a lovely dish...first time here...loved your blog...glad to follow you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely treat , i’m sure the subzi wud have tasted great .The orange teddy from ur prev post is so cute.. love it !!

    - Smita
    littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the sweetness of the onion will give a nice flavor to the curry and will come in handy when you are out of fresh veggies..
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shobha,looks super yummy and sounds delicious,I love almost everything that is prepared in Besan and pearl onions are my favorite too:)!!! I have a ton of links to your blog on my blog under baingan ka bhartha and I was wondering if I have messed up something again:(????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear .. thanks for all the appreciation.

      Delete
  12. A great recipe!!! LOOOOOOOONG time ago, my best friend's Mom had once cooked pyaz ki sabzi. It was one of the best things I had ever eaten. This reminds me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy my recipe brought back sweet memories of your friend and her mom

      Delete
  13. You haven't mentioned the size of your bowl! How many onions are supposed to be used for this recipe?

    --Anisha

    ReplyDelete

Do show some love if you liked my recipe. Leave a comment here.

Print Recipe