Wednesday, July 17, 2013

UPMA


Upma is a traditional breakfast dish from South India. This is a very easy preparation and hardly takes time to make. You can make it plain or with the addition of tomato or vegetables if you like.


Ingredients:
Semolina ...... 1 cup
Onion ............ 1 small (finely chopped)
Green chillies ....1-2
Ginger (grated) ..... 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds .....1 tsp.
Cumin seeds ......... 1 tsp.
Dry red chillies .... 2
Asafoetida ..... a pinch
Curry leaves .... 1 sprig
Salt .... ...... to taste
Oil ................ 2-3 tbsps.
Ghee ...1 tbsp.
Cashewnuts .... 6-8

Method:

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves







.
2. Now add the onion, green chillies and ginger. Saute for a few minutes.








3. Add the semolina and salt. Stir for 4-5 minutes.








4. Boil two and half cups water and add to the semolina stirring continuously to avoid lumps.







5. Add a spoonful of ghee in the finishing stages for extra taste and texture.









 Garnish with fried cashewnuts. Serve with coconut chutney.


Pin for later


You may also like:















14 comments:

  1. I love the way you served it. Upma is always a quick and smart breakfast in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shobha...I always love this leaf shaped cutlery you use. I will surely get one soon if I find it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't temper my upma for my sake...I love it as it is..Good one Shobha ji and you excel in every preparation :) Please send me your address to my mail id for the prize collection..

    Today's Recipe - Poondu Kulambu / Spicy Garlic Curry
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now make upma for myself with cream of rice but its not as good as the semolina one as you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of the quickest recipe.. its my hubby's fav..

    ReplyDelete

Do show some love if you liked my recipe. Leave a comment here.

Print Recipe