Dates ..... 1/2 cup
Tamarind pulp .. 1/2 cup
Sugar / jaggery .. 1 tbsp
Salt ..................... 1 tsp ( you can also use rock salt )
Red chili powder .. 1/4 tsp
Dry ginger powder .. 1/2 tsp
Oil ................ 1-2 tbsps
1. Cut the dates and soak them in water for few hours. If the dates are fresh then you don't need to soak for long. Cook them for 4-5 minutes and let them cool.
2. Soak the tamarind and extract the pulp.
3. Grind the dates and tamarind to a smooth paste.
4. In a pan heat the oil and cook the mix for a minute or two adding the rest of the ingredients. The sugar or jaggery depends on your taste, how sweet you like your chutney.
5. Cool and refrigerate. This is a nice accompaniment with snacks like samosas, kachoris, chaats and dahi wadas / bhallas.
You can even freeze this if you like.
Linking to :